Tamil Nadu is bracing for Cyclone Nivar which is more likely to cross the coast on Wednesday, prompting authorities to droop transportation in some districts. The Tamil Nadu authorities on Monday reviewed the state of affairs, asking the respective district administrations to be on guard. In keeping with the India Meteorological Division (IMD), the melancholy over southwest and adjoining southeast Bay of Bengal moved west-northwestwards at a velocity of 11 kmph and lay centred at 1130 hours of Monday over the identical area, about 520 km east-southeast of Puducherry and 560 km southeast of Chennai. The melancholy could be very more likely to intensify right into a cyclonic storm throughout subsequent 24 hours.
“It is extremely more likely to transfer northwestwards and cross Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coasts between Karaikal and Mamallapuram round November 25 afternoon as a extreme cyclonic storm with a wind velocity of 100-110 kmph gusting to 120 kmph,” the IMD stated.
In the meantime, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Ok Palaniswami held a overview assembly and requested his cupboard colleagues and officers to stay totally alert and take applicable precautionary measures.
- In keeping with the IMD, widespread rainfall/thunderstorm is “very seemingly” over Tamil Nadu. Puducherry and Karaikal throughout November 24 to 26.
- Remoted extraordinarily heavy rainfall could be very seemingly over Pudukottai, Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Karaikal, Nagapattinam, Cuddalore, Ariyalur and Perambalur, Kallakurichi, Puducherry, Villupuram, Tiruvannamalai, Chengalpattu between Wednesday and Thursday.
- Excessive alert has been sounded in Nagapattinam and fishermen have been requested to not enterprise into the ocean until November 26.
- The Tamil Nadu authorities has suspended inter and intra-district bus companies in seven districts from Tuesday, until additional orders. Bus companies in Cuddalore, Nagapattinam, Tanjavur, Tiruvarur, Villupuram, Chengalpattu and Pudukottai districts will stay suspended from 1 PM on Tuesday.
- Trains have been partially and totally cancelled in some districts.
- Chief Minister Ok Palaniswami has requested officers of varied departments to be on standby with required tools, earth movers, vehicles and different equipment in Pudukottai, Cuddalore, Nagapattinam, Tanjavur, Tiruvarur, Villupuram and Chengalpattu districts.
- Evacuation of individuals in susceptible areas, amenities, together with provide of meals in reduction camps, safeguarding boats and nets of fishermen, taking over fogging operations, monitoring water ranges in huge lakes and provision of cellular communication models will likely be ensured.
- For the reason that cyclone is slated to cross the coast in north Tamil Nadu, six NDRF groups needs to be stationed in Cuddalore and two in Chennai with required tools, the chief minister stated.
- Folks ought to inventory themselves with torch lights, candles and matchboxes. They need to additionally keep away from venturing out throughout gusty winds, CM stated.
- Income Minister R B Udayakumar and Electrical energy Minister P Thangamani stated these residing in low mendacity areas ought to instantly shift to reduction camps.
- Thangamani stated energy provide will likely be minimize off when the storm crosses the coast on November 25, as a precaution. Cuddalore district has been given precedence because of heavy rains. About 1.5 lakh electrical poles can be found with the federal government, he stated.