Mary Kom and Indian boxers to have three-week coaching camp overseas earlier than Olympics


Picture Supply : TWITTER/BFI OFFICIAL

File picture of Mary Kom.

India’s 9 Olympic-bound boxers will journey overseas for a three-week coaching stint after getting a number of days’ break following a record-shattering medal haul by the nation’s pugilists on the just-concluded Asian Championships in Dubai.

Chatting with PTI, Indian males’s boxing’s Excessive Efficiency Director Santiago Nieva mentioned the boxers will attain Tokyo for the Video games, 5 to seven days earlier than the beginning of the occasion from July 23.

“We’ll go overseas for coaching. The discussions are on and the place will likely be finalised within the subsequent few days. It is going to be a three-week camp. We’ll come again to India to advantageous tune a number of issues, after which head to Tokyo five-seven days earlier than the Video games,” Nieva mentioned laying down the plan for the approaching days.

The whole modalities of the deliberate journey will likely be revealed after the venue is finalised. The Indian boxing staff has travelled fairly a bit prior to now few months for tournaments and coaching, together with a prolonged journey to Europe.

The coaching at residence has been sporadic due to the menace posed by COVID-19. Actually, in April, nationwide coach C A Kuttappa had examined optimistic for COVID-19 forcing him into quarantine for 10 days.

Indian boxers fetched their best-ever medal haul of 15 on the occasion in Dubai, two greater than their earlier greatest efficiency. The medals clinched this time included two gold, 5 silver and eight bronze medals.

The one gold-winner among the many Olympic-bound was Pooja Rani (75kg), whereas M C Mary Kom (51kg) and Amit Panghal (52kg) fetched silver medals.

The lone male boxer to fetch a gold was Sanjeet (91kg), who will not be part of the Olympic group.

Vikas Krishan (69kg), Simranjit Kaur (60kg) and Lovlina Borgohain (69kg) have been among the many Olympic-bound bronze-medallists.

The others to have made the minimize for Tokyo are Manish Kaushik (63kg), Ashish Chaudhary (75kg) and Satish Kumar (+91kg). Of those, Ashish misplaced within the quarterfinals in Dubai and Manish and Satish couldn’t journey on account of sickness.

“Total I’m happy with the efficiency and I say this not simply medal haul. Amit was in terrific kind, Vikas was simply unfortunate to get injured within the semifinals and Ashish additionally gave a very good efficiency though he did not win a medal,” Nieva mentioned.

“After all there are small points to be addressed, extra particular to people and we’ll try this within the few weeks remaining earlier than the Video games. I can say we’re 80 per cent prepared, we’ll kind the remaining 20 per cent,” he added.

The small points that Nieva referred to included shut vary boxing and physique punches.

“There’s definitely huge enchancment and it’ll proceed earlier than we’re completely prepared for the Video games,” he mentioned.

On to particular person performances and Nieva felt Panghal was extremely good all through regardless of lacking out on a second successive gold.

The diminutive Haryana-boxer misplaced an edge-of-the-seat remaining to previous foe Shakhobidin Zoirov of Uzbekistan in what was a repeat of the 2019 world championship remaining, which had additionally led to Zoirov’s favour. The Indian gained the 2 of the three rounds however Zoirov had simply the correct mixture of scores from particular person judges to scrape by Three-2.

“I believe that is at par together with his greatest performances. He was unstoppable and seemed actually good. All of us thought he gained that remaining,” Nieva mentioned.
After which there was Sanjeet (91kg), who upstaged Olympic silver-medallist and match legend Vassiliy Levit within the finals. Kazakhstan’s Levit was trying good for his fourth gold medal on the occasion however was stopped by the tournament-debutant Indian.

“Sanjeet has great optimistic power. He has labored onerous to get the place he’s and his enhancements are very clear. There have been sure weaknesses in his recreation, particularly at shut vary however he has improved rather a lot,” Nieva mentioned.

India discovered its personal match legend in Shiva Thapa (64kg), who clinched fifth successive medal by ending with a silver. Nieva was all reward for the Assam boxer, who can be a world championship bronze-medallist.



Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *