Indian Navy’s fifth Scorpene class submarine Vagir, having superior stealth options just like the superior acoustic absorption approach, was launched on Thursday on the Mazagon Dock in south Mumbai. Vijaya, spouse of Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik, launched the submarine via video conferencing.
The minister was the chief visitor on the occasion and attended it by way of video hyperlink from Goa.
INS Vagir – All it’s worthwhile to know
- Vagir is a part of the six Kalvari-class submarines being in-built India.
Maharashtra: MoS Defence Shripad Naik launches fifth scorpene class submarine ‘Vagir’ of Venture 75 in Arabian sea waters at Mazagaon Dock in Mumbai via video conferencing pic.twitter.com/LAWAVudqTW
— ANI (@ANI) November 12, 2020
- The submarines, designed by French naval defence and vitality firm DCNS, are being constructed as a part of Indian Navy’s Venture-75.
- These submarines can undertake missions like anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, and space surveillance, an official stated.
- Vagir is called after the Sand Fish, a lethal deep sea predator of the Indian Ocean.
- The primary Vagir, a submarine from Russia, was commissioned into the Indian Navy on December three, 1973, and was decommissioned on June 7, 2001 after nearly three a long time of service to the nation.
- “Constructing the Scorpene was certainly a problem for MDL, because the complexity of the only of duties elevated exponentially attributable to all work having to be finished in essentially the most congested of areas,” MDL stated in a launch.
- “The state-of-art expertise used within the submarine has ensured superior stealth options similar to superior acoustic absorption methods, low radiated noise ranges, and hydro-dynamically optimised form and in addition the flexibility to assault the enemy utilizing precision guided weapons,” the discharge stated.
- The assault will be launched with each torpedoes and tube launched anti-ship missiles, while underwater or on floor, MDL stated.
- “The stealth of this potent platform is enhanced by the particular consideration to her attribute underwater signatures. These stealth options give it an invulnerability, unmatched by most submarines,” it stated.
- The submarine is designed to function in all theatres of operation, showcasing interoperability with different elements of a Naval Activity Drive, MDL stated.
- “With the launching of Vagir, India additional cements its place as a submarine constructing nation. That is in sync with the present impetus of the federal government in direction of Make in India and Atma Nirbhar Bharat,” MDL stated.
- Two submarines of the continuing Venture-75 Scorpene programme at MDL, Kalvari and Khanderi, have been commissioned into the Indian Navy.
- The third submarine, Karanj, is within the final part of rigorous sea trials.
- The fourth Scorpene, Vela,has commenced her sea trials, while the sixth and final submarine, Vagsheer, is being readied for boot collectively.
- “Two SSK submarines constructed by MDL throughout 1992-94 are in energetic service, which is a sworn statement to the professionalism and functionality of Mazagon Dock personnel,” it stated.