In Rafael Nadal’s 101 appearances at Stade Roland Garros, he misplaced solely twice. As clear favorite as it might make him to win his report 13th title, particularly along with his 12-Zero report in a French Open closing, Nadal would face a kind of two opponents on Sunday at Court docket Philippe Chatrier. Djokovic’s invincible run this season and Nadal’s dominant run to the French Open closing has been the one fixed amid the disruption brought about to the game owing to the pandemic, and their face-off within the closing at Roland Garros won’t simply be the last word take a look at for both stalwarts, however it is going to even be a sight for the sore eyes for tennis followers throughout the globe.
Sunday’s assembly will probably be their report 56th ATP encounter, with the Serb main the head-to-head tie 29-26. Nonetheless, Nadal holds the sting in Grand Slam matches with a 9-6 report. 24 of these 55 matches have been performed on clay and Nadal, as soon as once more, leads with 17 wins, seven of which have are available in finals. The Spaniard additionally holds the sting at Roland Garros, profitable six of their seven matches together with two finals – 6-Four, 6-Three, 2-6, 7-5 within the 2012 and Three-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-Four within the 2014.
Djokovic has nonetheless received 10 of their final 13 conferences, 9 of thise coming in straight units, and one in every of which incorporates his comfy victory towards Nadal in French Open 2015 quarters.
Stats on the road…
– A win for Nadal will see tie hm with Roger Federer on the high of the all-time main tally with 20 titles. His presently tally of 19 majors included 4 US Open trophies, two at Wimbledon, one Australian Open trophy and a report 12 on the Roland Garros. For Djokovic, with the 18th main he’ll be capable to cut back the hole on the high with one to separate him from Nadal and two from Federer.
– A win for Djokovic will make him the primary man to beat Nadal twice at Roland Garros. He had defeated Nadal in his final assembly on the venue with a straight set win within the quarterfinal. Robin Soderling in 2009 was the one different participant and first to defeat Nadal on Parisian terre battue.
– Each gamers will probably be aiming to turn out to be the primary male tennis participant in Open Period to win six majors after turning 30. Nadal may even be hoping to affix Djokovic to turn out to be the second man in Open Period to win a Grand Slam title in three completely different a long time – 2000s, 2010s and 2020s.
Numbers in Roland Garros 2020…
– Each reached the quarterfinal with out dropping a set, however whereas Nadal continued the clear run into the ultimate, Djokovic dropped 4 units, two every towards Pablo Carreno Busta within the quarters and Stefanos Tsitsipas within the semis.
– The Mallorcan Bull has transformed 38 of his 48 break factors on this match, implying a break-point conversion price of 79.2. His common profession price is 45 per cent. Djokovic’s conversion price this match has been 53.2.
– Each have been dominant on their first serves, however Nadal (63.Four %) stands forward within the second serve towards Djokovic (52.eight%).
– Djokovic has the flexibility to maneuver Nadal’s spectacular crosscourt forehand along with his inside out forehand throughout to the empty court docket. However must be cautious of the angle which should be widish and disallow Nadal from sprinting throughout for return earlier than serving a heavy forehand return.
– For Djokovic, the drop photographs which he has typically used this match, would be the key on the damp and low-bounce clay. However once more, to execute that he must drive Nadal off the court docket. Nadal doesn’t simply have glorious velocity, owing to the circumstances this season, he has been standing nearer to the baseline than ordinary to counter the low-bounce difficulty.
– Excessive bouncy returns have been the important thing for Nadal in every of his Roland Garros runs. However circumstances this time round has supplied low bounce for which Nadal has been standing nearer to the baseline. But he has has been in a position to generate bounce as seen within the semis match. These crazy shorts will probably be key, if hit down the center.